Community Worker – DESTA Black Youth Network
Reporting to the Executive Director Community Worker is the front line person helping youth in need. DESTA is a not-for-profit community-based organization serving marginalized youth, aged18 to 35 in the Greater Montreal area. Our mission is to mentor these youth in the areas of education, health, personal development, and employment. Through our programmes and services, DESTA aims to empower, strengthen authentic identity, and promote excellence in marginalized youth. DESTA is a Canadian registered charity.
The Community Worker will have an understanding of and compassion for the challenges our participants face, which DESTA addresses through its pillars: 1. Education, 2. Health, Wellness and Personal Growth, 3. Justice, and 4. Employability and Entrepreneurial Development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with youth, team members, volunteers, and all partners
● Mentor and provide informal individual and group counselling to participants
● Accompany or refer participants to other organizations or services
● Provide ongoing follow-up and counselling
● Research and develop culturally-relevant and thematic socio-recreational curriculum and special events
● Develop and secure resources that are needed to enhance programmes
● Develop and maintain budgets for existing programmes
● Prepare full detailed reports on any new elements or changes to existing programmes to the Executive Director
● Supervise, support, and integrate volunteers/interns during the programmes
● Efficiently complete all administrative tasks associated with community programmes
● Work collaboratively with “DESTA Team” to achieve goals and maximize resources
● Write monthly program reports for the Board of Directors and for the Annual Report
● Participate in DESTA team meetings
● 5 years experience as a community worker, with a proven track record
● University degree or DEC in program relevant to one of DESTA’s pillars
● Minimum 2 years of experience in animation or program planning
● Self-motivated, able to work autonomously and as part of a team
● Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
● Knowledge and sensitivity towards issues concerning diverse ethno-cultural and marginalized communities
● Excellent written and oral communication skills – English and French
● Good computer skills; knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and social media
● Team player
CV, letter of interest, together with references are required.
Please send your resume to [email protected]
We thank all applicants. Only selected candidates will be contacted.