DESTA Black Youth Network, Community Worker
DESTA is a Canadian registered charity. As a community-based organization serving
marginalized youth, aged 18 to 35 in the Greater Montreal area, our mission is to provide
individualized support in the areas of education, health and personal development,
justice, and employment.
DESTA is hiring a Community Worker who will have an understanding of and
compassion for the challenges our participants face. This position is 35 hours per week,
$15 to $20 per hour (commiserate with experience), and includes a benefits package
with health, dental, and life insurance. Flexibility of schedule is required, as the
Community Worker often works evenings and occasionally weekend events.
Please note that our building is not wheelchair accessible at this time.
Tasks and responsibilities:
● Develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with youth, team
members, volunteers, referral services, and community partners
● Mentor and provide ongoing individual and group counselling to participants
● Accompany or refer participants to other organizations and/or services
● Research and develop culturally-relevant, socio-recreational curricula and events
● Assist in the development and maintenance of program budgets in partnership
with the Executive Director and the Finance Committee
● Provide regular updates on new elements or changes in programming to the
● Write monthly program reports for the Programming Committee and Board of
● Support and integrate volunteers and interns during programs
Successful candidates will possess the following:
● Knowledge of and sensitivity towards issues concerning diverse ethno-cultural
and marginalized communities, and the Black community in particular
● Ability to work with different personalities and create a welcoming space
● Active listening and mediation skills
● Ability to work with participants in crisis (housing, legal, and family issues,
substance abuse, etc.)
● Self-motivation, and ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
● Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
At Desta, we recognize the value of paid and unpaid work.
● Experience in community work and counselling youth and/or adults in crisis
● Minimum 2 years of experience in facilitation (program, group, etc.)
● Experience in program planning (conceptualization, development,
implementation, and evaluation)
● Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French
● University degree or DEC in relevant field (Social Work, etc.)
● Knowledge of Little Burgundy
How to apply:
Please forward your CV and cover letter. In your cover letter, please highlight your
relevant lived and work experience, as well as your personal and professional values.
Please send applications to: [email protected]
If you wish to be considered for employment equity:
Desta values the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized
communities bring to our organization. We encourage, among others, Indigenous
people, people of colour, disabled people, people identifying as LGBTQI, women,
formerly incarcerated or institutionalized people, immigrants, and people from working
class backgrounds to apply. We also understand that applicants may experience a
number of these identities simultaneously in ways that reinforce and nuance their
experience. We are committed to creating an organization that reflects the community
If you wish to be considered for employment equity, please include the following
sentence on a separate page to your cover letter and CV: “I would like to be
considered for employment equity.” Please note that we do not require applicants to
specify the basis on which they are applying for employment equity; you do not need to
disclose your reasons.
Details for applications:
Deadline for application is Ongoing.